Monday, May 11, 2009

Ahhh...the things we wish for

I was wistfully lamenting to my husband about how I really needed some downtime. To just sit and do as I want to do without recriminations or the feelings of guilt I normally feel. I even jokefully teased him that I was going to take Monday off from work to do just that. But alas when Monday morning came around I got up and got myself and the girls ready for our day. Things progressed along nicely until about 12:10pm. I got a call from my youngest daughters school that she is in the clinic. She is complaining about an upset stomach and she has a fever of 99.4 and that I would have to come get her. I thought I heard the woman on the other end of the line incorrectly. So I asked her "99.4?". "Yes", she replied, "You will have to come and get her." Now I am all for getting my children from school when they are ill. It isn't fair to them or the other children to leave them in school if they aren't feeling well. But...99.4? It isn't even a full degree above a "normal" temperature. Now normally they school requires you to pick-up your children if they have a temperature over 100, but with the complete and utter PANIC about the H1N1 virus, otherwise known as the swine flu, they are erring wayyyy too far on the side of caution. I truly understand their concerns about this strain of flu since we don't have any true vaccine for it. But.....seriously folks. Your average, everyday common flu causes more damage and wreaks more havoc than what we are experiencing now.

So, here I sit. At home, in front of the computer on Monday afternoon. Now I know I jokingly said that I wanted to be home on Monday, but I certainly didn't want it to happen this way...lol. Well, I better go check the youngin' to make sure she has't sprouted a curly tail and started oinking on me....LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment