Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ahhh...the New Year is here!

Well, the new year is here. What wonderful things will it bring with it this time? Twelve months of opportunities...twelve months of succeeding with my weight loss and healthy lifestyle changes...twelve months of potential to fail. But we won't think about the last one....LOL.

January....it is the month of resolutions. Where everything appears shiny and new. It is the month that spirits are lifted and then so many are broken. I am a firm believer in NOT MAKING RESOLUTIONS! I truly believe that they set a person up for failure. We all have a tendency to make resolutions that are completely unrealistic so that when we don't reach them we see ourselves as failures and it can start a whole landslide of emotions that can thoroughly defeat us. I believe in setting smaller "mini" goals. Sit down and really be honest with yourself and decide what "goal" you can reach that is realistic and attainable. And after you have reached this one, and I know you will, make another "mini" goal. Setting smaller "mini" goals, and reaching them, helps build ones self-confidence. It shows us that we aren't failures and that we can do the things we set out to do. I have used this approach to losing weight with Weight Watchers. I don't think about my "ultimate" goal, because it is just too large and far away for me to even think about. I keep setting smaller goals, like reaching the next 10%. I honestly believe that is why I am still on the program. I have been struggling as of late, but I am still doing it. In the past I would have just said forget it and quit, but this time I am sticking with it no matter what the scale tells me.

I am looking forward to making more progress with changing my lifestyle and my families lifestyles as well. We have already made changes but we definately need to make more. I have to believe that with every change we make we are moving in a positive direction and creating a lifestyle that makes us all happier and healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment