Sunday, January 25, 2009

Me, myself & The computer

I have really got to make time to get on the computer and blog more. I find that the more I stay away from the computer the more I have a tendency to stray from my healthier lifestyle. Who would have ever thought that a computer would play such a big role in a weight loss/lifestyle change? Is the computer the key I was missing all these years? Was technology the boost I needed to keep myself on track? I am beginning to think so especially after last week.

Last week I only worked a day and a half. The company I work for is like so many others out there right now, struggling to keep itself afloat. Me and my co-workers have been lucky in that they have been trying really hard not to lay any of us off. But it is looking like that might not be an option in the near future. If it happens it happens and I have been trying not to stress over it, but it is always in the back of my mind. I know it is contributing to my wanting to eat more than I have normally been doing. Also being home has truly made it increasingly hard for me to stay on track with my program. I have found that if I am busy with work, etc., I don't have time to eat or even think about it. But when I am at home with unstructured time all I think about is eating. I have been trying to keep to my schedule as far as my food goes during the day, trying to eat at the times I would be if I was at work. It is helping to some extent. But knowing that there are other things there available to me plays in my head all day. I haven't been indulging in anything too horribly bad for me, just too much of the "good" stuff like sandwich thins and wheat crackers.

The computer comes into play on Friday. After I got home from taking my girls to school, shopping at Walmart and getting my nails done I planted myself at my desk in front of my computer and stayed there until my husband and oldest daughter got home from their day. That is from about 9am until 4:30pm. Long time. But during that time I was on the computer I didn't over-indulge myself. I made and ate a sensible breakfast and lunch. I drank my water. I didn't ever really think about eating anything else. I wasn't doing anything special on the computer. I was on the WW boards A LOT, I checked out my oldest daughters grades, played some games. But the thing that stands out the most to me is that I didn't over eat.

Now the key is putting this knowledge to work for me. One thing that has come to mind is that maybe I need to start a new hobby that keeps my hands busy so that during those times that I am sitting relaxing I won't be doing it with a pile of turkey pepperoni and wedge of cheese. This time on the Weight Watcher program has definately been a lot different from any other time. I have been learning a lot about myself and the things that make me tick. It is turning out to be a real opportunity for me to grow and change. This time around I actually have hope that it is going to permanent. That I am going to reach a healthy weight and I am going to stay there because I know it is far more important to be healthy for myself and my family, than it is eating that next slice of pizza.

3 comments:

  1. Good job having a loss, even with staying at home, and having extra stress. I know just when I'm home on the weekends, it's hard not to eat everything in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the loss! I can't imagine how difficult it must be with all the added stress. Great job on learning what makes you tick! That's a huge "lesson." :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think being home does make it hard to stay on plan...and it looks like you are finding ways to prevent going off plan...good job! I hope the stress decreases in the near future!

    ReplyDelete